Just a small list of my own ASMR triggers, for anyone curious. I’ll be adding to this list as I discover / remember more of them, but I think I’ve got the basics covered.
At some point I’m going to go back over this list and describe the typical response manifestation – not all triggers are equal for me.
- Someone lightly touching / playing with my hair on the back of my head
- The feel of someone lightly whispering into, breathing into, or touching one of my ears
- Lightly flexing the muscles of my soft palate
- Yawning (which flexes the muscles of the soft palate)
- Humming deeply and loudly for a minute or so
- A cool, light breeze.
- Red sparkly things (glass, cut stones, anything that gives off glints of red light)
- Audio ‘Visualizations’ – especially rainbow-colored or flashy/sparkly
- high-saturation rainbow-colored graphics
- lightly tapping plastic on glass
- Banjo music and similar instruments
- Dramatic, emotional music
- Some techno – anything pingy or tappy
- Dévo’s harmonic bass style
- plastic beads clicking together
- Thinking about past ASMR episodes and ASMR triggers
- Watching someone else experience an ASMR episode (I put this under Mental instead of Visual because it isn’t the image that’s important. It’s more like co-experiencing, rather than watching.)
- Experiencing sudden, unexpected positive emotions
- Realizations that strike me as profound and important
- Sudden bursts of nostalgia
- Thinking about the scale of the universe
- Intensely comfortable – my experiences with ASMR (brightumbra.wordpress.com)